Lynchpin will automatically create, amend, populate or delete accounts in the it's VLE.
Lynchpin will create user accounts from any of the major MIS systems used in the UK (Capita SIMS, SERCO Facility, RM Integris G2, Pearson Phoenix e1).
Lynchpin is versatile and can be used not only with itslearning, but also with other VLEs and compatible systems as diverse as cashless catering and door entry systems. In the South West Lynchpin has been deployed to over 2400 schools to provision accounts in the SWGfL Merlin system.
Our interoperability solutions support both the SIF (Schools Interoperability Framework) and IMS standards for data exchange with school MIS systems.
Why use Lynchpin?
Lynchpin has a number of features that take the headache out of user provisioning for schools:
- No need to enter the same data multiple times
- Saves time by automatically populating pupils into year and class groups
- Works with all the major MIS providers
- Flexible system settings, including choice of user names and frequency of synchronisation
- Centrally hosted – simplifies management of user accounts
- Works with any SIF compliant system – fully integrates with a SIF Zone Integration Server
What about security?
As Lynchpin involves the exchange of data there are a number of built-in features to ensure users are protected at all times:
- access is password protected using encrypted log-ins
- once passwords have been changed by the user they can’t be viewed
- passwords are stored using one-way hash encryption
What is SIF?
The Systems Interoperability Framework (SIF) is an international standard used to link together different school data systems. SIF provides an interoperability standard that allows diverse applications within the education sector to interact and share data reliably and securely regardless of the application or platform it is hosted on.
At the heart of the SIF is the Zone Integration Server (ZIS), which orchestrates the exchange of data between applications such as MIS, learning platforms, cashless catering systems, door access systems. Each application has a SIF agent that communicates with the ZIS to provide and/or subscribe to data. Data is transferred securely to only those systems that are allowed to view the information. The ZIS can be hosted in the LA or by a third party.
We have been at the forefront of the SIFa movement in the UK for the last five years helping schools, LAs and RBCs to keep costs down by using a common standard for the transfer of user data. In the South West of England, all 2400 schools using the SWGfL Merlin system manage and provision Merlin accounts using Lynchpin.